It’s official. I have a toddler. Jack is walking everywhere. In the last week it’s just been like boom, I got this mummy. Now I have an irrational fear of him being snatched or lead away at a shopping centre, so poor hubby was copping this big spiel from me about always ALWAYS holding his hand or popping him in the pram if he needs to turn away or have two hands free. He is also obsessed with swimming. He saw the Yarra River on Christmas Day and wanted to jump into it, the same happened when we were exploring the river in Warrandyte and again yesterday when we walked around Ringwood Lake. He threw a tantrum when we wouldn’t let him walk to the lakes edge, because he probably would have jumped in!
Every now and then I like to make a flat lay of things Jack loves the most at his current age, just to remember, so here it is from 16-17 months.
1. Books. Jack loves anything written by Nick Bland, including ‘Some Dads’. When Jack was born, friends gave us the 2013 winner of the Children’s Book Council of Australia for a picture book. Therefore, we wanted to continue this and bought him the 2014 winning entry ‘Rules of Summer’ by Shaun Tan. Jack will still play with his other toys, but 8 times out of 10 he will grab a book and want to sit in mine or hubby’s lap while we read it to him. Actually, he’s even happy if we just hold it and he flicks through the pages.
2. This Bonds Wondersuit was given to Jack for his first birthday but as I told these friends, I’d stopped putting Jack in grow suits because he’d often get himself tangled up and end up with both legs in one of the leg holes. I put him in this to give it a go and he’s been fine. He’s fallen in love with the sea characters on the garment and even now if you ask him where the fishies are, no matter what he’s wearing, he’ll point to his sleeve. Cute.
3. Thomas the Tank Engine. Ok, so hubby and I may be going mad with this and find ourselves randomly singing “they’re two, they’re four, they’re six, they’re eight. Shunting trucks and hauling freight” but hey, if he loves it, then we will bear it. He even knows how to flick over to the DVD player to get Thomas to start playing. Wanna know one of my photography secrets? If I can’t get Jack to look at me and smile, I’ll find the Thomas theme song on my iPhone and hold it next to the camera. Instant smile.
4. Money. My handbag gets emptied by Jack at least once a day. He enjoys finding one of two things. Food, or money. He’ll pull everything out of my wallet or find my coin purse and play with the coins until his heart is content. All our spare gold coins go into his piggy bank, so he’s fascinated with that too. Oh, and you know PayPass at the registers? Jack HAS to be the one to tap the screen with our credit card. He know exactly what to do and then he holds his little hand out to the cashier until he’s given the receipt.
5. Walking! Jack is loving himself sick now that he can walk, so it’s all about getting him used to shoes. Purebaby have the cutest sandals in store now, so these are perfect for summer. I’m trying to restrain myself from buying all the trendiest shoes for him, because he has a few and his feet are still growing so much, but really, how cute are trendy baby kicks?
The frame was a Christening gift, but I had the idea to put a J in it, instead of a picture. It looks really cool on his shelf (some people take photo’s of nursery shelves and call them shelfies haha) so I included it in the picture.
So tell me, how old is your child and what are they loving?
I hope you’ve all had a lovely Monday!